GUIDELINES FOR PHOTOGRAPHY SUBMISSIONS
Submissions are not limited by style or subject matter (portraits, landscapes, etc.), however:
1. All work submitted must be the copyright of the photographer.
2. Photographs must be made in the current calendar year (2017).
3. Photographs must be made in counties within the thirteen-state region the Appalachian Regional Commission defines as Appalachian (here).
4. Submissions are open through midnight, 31 December 2017.
5. Before submitting work for consideration, please read the TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
IMPORTANT: Include the date (month, day, and year), city, county, and state. Submissions must be in .JPG format, sized at 1500 pixels on the longest side, 72ppi. File names must include your last name and the city, county, and state where the photograph was made (example: maychattaroymingowv2.jpg). Please do not watermark or add text to your submissions. Submissions received in any other format will not be accepted.
Please include a telephone number with your submission(s).
Photographs will be indexed by the state in which they were made. You are not limited to submitting work about one state, however please be aware of the ARC map boundaries.
Email or Dropbox submissions and questions to project director Roger May.
GUIDELINES FOR WRITING SUBMISSIONS
Looking at Appalachia seeks intelligent, nuanced takes on the region from a diversity of perspectives. Appalachia is defined as such by the Appalachian Regional Commission. We seek submissions in all genres, including but not limited to essay, narrative nonfiction, fiction, and poetry. Included below are guidelines to consider when preparing your work:
● Each submission may be no longer than 3,000 words.
● Writers may submit more than one work.
● Writers do not need to be based in Appalachia.
● Works submitted must be the writers’ own.
● Works must be written in the same calendar year as the year submitted.
● Writers submitting to Looking at Appalachia retain all copyright ownership of their works.
● Previously published work can be submitted, but it is the writer’s responsibility to acknowledge any previous agreements regarding the work’s publication, securing permissions if necessary.
● By submitting, writers affirm that works will not defame, invade the privacy of, or be injurious to, any third party, will not violate any law, and will not otherwise infringe upon the personal or proprietary rights of or give rise to any claim by any third party.
● By submitting, writers affirm that any real people featured in nonfiction works are accurately represented.
● Submissions are open through midnight, 31 December 2016.
● Before submitting work for consideration, please read the TERMS AND CONDITIONS.
IMPORTANT: Submitted works must be in .doc, .docx, or .rtf format; double-spaced; 12-point type. Include the date (month, day, and year), your name and your city, county, and state.
Email submissions and questions to editors Courtney Balestier and Matthew Newton at email@example.com.